Big spring clean 2016
Caerphilly’s annual clean-up campaign ‘The Big Spring Clean’ is back for 2016, and we want local schools, groups, community organisations and individuals to get involved.
Litter picks, planting projects and community clean ups are on the cards across Caerphilly County Borough, as hundreds of volunteers take up the challenge of making their local community an even greener place to live.
Hundreds of volunteers joined forces with the council last year, which by the end of the campaign saw in excess of 40 tonnes of litter and waste collected.
So far this year, a large number of organisations have already signed up to get involved – including McDonalds in Blackwood and Newbridge, Rhymney Community Education Group, Asda in Blackwood, Morrisons in Bargoed and Cwm Glas Infants School in Llanbradach.
Key partners including Keep Wales Tidy, Groundwork, United Welsh, Space Saviours, Fly Tipping Action Wales and Natural Resources Wales will also be involved in the Big Spring Clean.
Residents who’d like to get involved in a community clean up, or who’d like to organise a community clean up should call 01443 873 758 for more information. The council can supply litter pickers and waste bags for use during the clean-up.
2016 Clean-up activities
- Greenhill Primary fruit tree planting session with Eco Group Monday 29 February
- Clean Up at Glyngaer Road and waste ground project Glyngaer Primary Wednesday 2 March
- Caerphilly Mountain – Saturday 5 March
- Caerphilly Castle Moat / Feeder Stream and surrounding areas. Sunday 6 March
- Litter pick 1pm cycle track below Merlin Way, Cwm Calon, Penallta (Pupils of Ysgol Penalltau) - Monday 7 March
- Senghenydd Bridge Improvement scheme. Ongoing Project February 22 to 11 March (cutting, clearing and painting)
- Cwm las field and woodland, Llanbradach Clean up Session with Cwm Glas Primary School. Wednesday 9 March (to be confirmed)
- Church Street (river embankment) Abertridwr. Date to be confimed (March/April)
- Bryn Aber Community Clean Up. Tuesday 5 April.
- Diamond Close, Caerphilly Community Events Day. Thursday 7 April.